Social security, mutual and insurance
Are you starting or continuing studies in higher education? Most of them cases, you no longer need to take any action. Find out what you need to know about your health protection as a student the terms of a good reimbursement of your care and your contacts.
You start higher education after your baccalaureate or a diploma equivalent to the start of the 2019 academic year
Vous vous inscrivez pour la première fois dans un établissement d’enseignement supérieur français pour la rentrée 2019 et vous remplissez les conditions de la protection universelle maladie, c’est-à-dire une résidence stable et régulière en France.
La condition de stabilité de votre résidence est satisfaite, sans délai, sur présentation d’un document justifiant de votre statut d’étudiant.
La condition de régularité du séjour concerne les étudiants étrangers venant poursuivre des études en France. Consultez l’article « Vous venez étudier en France ».
Vous n’avez pas de cotisation à la sécurité sociale à acquitter. Une contribution vie étudiante et de campus est à acquitter auprès du centre régional des œuvres universitaires et scolaires (Crous).
Si vous partez faire vos études à l’étranger, reportez-vous à notre article « Études à l’étranger : votre prise en charge ».
Vous êtes déjà rattaché à la sécurité sociale
Vous n’avez aucune démarche à faire. Vous ne changez plus de régime obligatoire d’assurance maladie pour le remboursement de vos frais de santé.
Vous demeurez rattaché à votre régime de protection sociale actuel. Il s’agit généralement de celui de vos parents, sauf si vous exercez une activité professionnelle qui vous fait dépendre d’un autre régime (régime général, régime agricole, régimes spéciaux).
Vous avez la qualité d’assuré dès l’âge de 18 ans. Avant 18 ans, vous bénéficiez généralement du remboursement de vos frais de santé en tant qu’ayant-droit de l’un au moins de vos parents ou de votre représentant légal. Sur demande à votre caisse d’assurance maladie, vous pouvez demander à être assuré à partir de 16 ans.
Complétez le formulaire Demande de prise en charge des frais de santé à titre personnel (PDF) et pensez à ouvrir votre compte ameli.
Vous êtes résident de la Nouvelle Calédonie ou de Wallis et Futuna, ou vous êtes français né à l’étranger
Dans ce cas, vous n’êtes pas affilié à un régime de protection sociale de France métropolitaine. En arrivant en métropole ou dans un département et région d’outre-mer (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyane, La Réunion, Mayotte) pour entreprendre ou poursuivre vos études, vous devez vous inscrire sur le site Inscription des étudiants étrangers à la Sécurité Sociale de l’Assurance Maladie afin d’être rattaché à la sécurité sociale pendant votre cursus (lire l’article : Vous venez étudier en France).
Rien ne change pour vous, vous demeurez rattaché gratuitement au même régime de sécurité sociale (régime général, régime agricole ou autres régimes spéciaux, généralement celui de vos parents ou tuteurs légaux) jusqu’à l’âge de 24 ans
Your social protection has been managed by a student mutual during the year 2018-2019 and you will continue your studies at the start of the school year 2019
Le régime étudiant de sécurité sociale disparaît au 31 août 2019.
À partir du 1er septembre 2019, vous serez rattaché, sans démarche ni formalité particulière de votre part, à la caisse primaire d’assurance maladie de votre lieu de résidence si vous êtes toujours étudiant. Vous recevrez un message de bienvenue à l’adresse mail connue de votre ancienne mutuelle étudiante ou, à défaut, par courrier.
You benefit from the reimbursement of your health costs in the event of illness or maternity by the primary fund of your place of residence.
Your vital card
Your vital card is your social insurance card. It certifies your insurance rights disease. Remember to update it at least once a year using the terminals available in all health insurance funds, pharmacies and in some health facilities and every change of situation.
Systematically present it to any healthcare professional. With it no more leaf paper care to be sent: you are reimbursed in 5 days.
The refunded amount is paid into your bank account, subject to providing a bank identity statement (RIB) to your health insurance fund.
Your attending physician
You must choose and declare an attending physician. From 16 years old, without attending physician you are less well reimbursed.
Choose your attending physician
You can choose a general practitioner or a specialist practicing in town or in the hospital. We simply advise you to choose the doctor who knows you best. Your attending physician is your privileged interlocutor. Going to consult first for a health problem you benefited from a medical follow-up coordinates of a prevention personalized
If you do not have an attending doctor or if you are seeing a doctor directly specialist (apart from an authorized medical specialist in direct access), you will be much less reimbursed by your health insurance organization.
For more information, see the article dedicated to the coordinated care pathway.
Is it better to choose an attending physician near you or in the city where you are do your studies?
There is no particular constraint. Choose the most convenient solution for you. Yes you fall ill far from your doctor, you can consult another doctor. This will specify on your care sheet your removal situation and you will be reimbursed normally
Declare your attending physician
This declaration of choice of the attending physician can be made online by the physician with your agreement. In practice, during a consultation at his office and on presentation of your carte vitale, the doctor you have chosen can upload your declaration online, directly to your health insurance fund.
You can also complete and sign Form S3704 Declaration of Choice of attending physician (PDF), together with the physician you have chosen as your attending physician, then give it to your health insurance organization or send it to them by post in a prepaid envelope at the current rate.
- No need to consult your doctor specifically to make the declaration of choice the attending physician: take advantage of a next consultation or a trip to his cabinet to carry out this formality!
- For young people under 18, the agreement and signature of the holder of the authority parental is necessary.
- You must make a new declaration of choice from the attending physician if you change attending physician, or if your attending physician ceases to operate, changes activity or move
- You are not affected by the obligation to report a treating physician if:
- You are affiliated as a family member of an international civil servant with the social security system of the international organization,
- You are a citizen of the European Union / European Economic Area (EU / EEA, see the list of countries in the European Union and the Economic Area European on the accueil-etrangers.gouv.fr website) or from Switzerland in possession of a European health insurance card (EHIC) or a provisional certificate,
- You are a citizen of the Principality of Monaco.
In the event of a work accident or illness professional
As a student, you benefit from occupational accident and illness insurance professional (AT MP. This insurance covers you for accidents that occur):
– During the courses given in the workshop or laboratory
– during internships in a company, provided that they appear in the program of your studies and put into practice the teaching provided, that they give rise to the signature of an internship agreement and that they are unpaid but may give rise to gratification.
YOUR ADDITIONAL COVER
To supplement social security reimbursements, you can join the complementary health insurance of your choice. Find out more from your parents’ mutual health insurance who can continue to offer additional coverage for their dependent children, even adults. You can also contact a student mutual or another complementary organization, to benefit from the level of services you want: it varies by contract.
Note: If you are affiliated as a family member of a civil servant international with the social security system of the international organization, EU / EEA or Swiss national in possession of a European insurance company illness or a provisional certificate from a citizen of the Principality of Monaco, you cannot benefit from the additional soldier (ex. CMU-C and ACS). If you take out a complementary contract, make sure it applies to people who are not insured with French social security.
YOU EXERCISE AN ACTIVITY IN PARALLEL TO YOUR STUDIES
If you exercise a professional activity in parallel with your studies, you are affiliated to the regime on which this activity depends, on presentation of any document justifying this situation, for example, your employment contract, a pay slip…
You must also justify the regularity of your stay.
YOU ARE A WORKSHOP STUDENT
You are affiliated to the general scheme (or to the MSA in the event of a work-study contract in the agricultural sector). You then have the same social protection guarantees as the salaried workers.
You benefit from:
– Reimbursement of your health costs
– daily allowances in the event of sick leave or leave maternity, as soon as you meet the conditions for entitlement to these benefits;
– Coverage in the event of an employee from the first day of your work in alternation
YOU HAVE MADE A YEAR OF GAP
The gap year is an optional period in which the student takes part in a higher education temporarily suspends it in order to acquire a personal experience, either from a host organization or from an educational establishment in France or in a foreign
Within the same cycle or between two, the length of a gap year can vary from one to two academic semesters (semesters are understood to mean an indivisible period of 6 months starting necessarily at the same time as a university semester)
During this gap, your social protection depends on your situation.
– If you are training in a different field, while residing in France, without exercise of a paid professional activity, you remain attached to your plan current.
– If you have a salaried job, you are affiliated to the scheme to which this job falls (general scheme or agricultural scheme). To find out more, see our article you are employee or the site of the Mutualité sociale agricole (MSA).
– If you exercise a self-employed activity, you are affiliated to the general scheme. To find out more, see our section “You have a self-employed / non-salaried job”).
– If you devote yourself only to volunteering or have no activity professional while remaining on French territory, you remain attached to the social security that previously provided your support (unless you have more age 24, in this situation, you are covered by the general scheme) for more information, see our article “Unemployed, the terms of your support
If you are going abroad, refer to the articles corresponding to the activity you will get there: expatriate employee, student
– If you go as part of an international volunteering your social protection will be organized by the organization managing your mission (Business France, DGTrésor, and MEAE). Consult the page Remuneration Retirement social coverage of Volunteering International website civiweb.com gathers the information you need. When you resume your studies, you will inform your thigh by filling out the form
Application for entitlement to health insurance (PDF) (form S1106): in the box B Applicant’s situation >> you will tick “Other” and specify “Return of VI >> as well as the date of your return to France. You will attach the corresponding supporting document issued by the organization managing your mission.
YOU COMPLETE OR STOP YOUR STUDIES IN 2019
You have finished your studies and started a professional activity.
If you were already attached to the general scheme and you start a salaried activity, you do not have to do anything.
If you were attached to a plan other than the general plan and you start a professional activity falling under this, you must send the Request for transfer (PDF) to the primary health insurance fund in your place of residence, accompanied by an identity card or a residence permit and a bank identity statement (RIB) established in your first and last names
If you start an activity as a farmer or agricultural employee, your social protection will be managed by the Mutualité sociale agricole (MSA) (external site).
If you create your activity as a self-employed person, you declare the existence of your company at business formalities center (CFE) which centralizes the documents in your registration request then forwards them to the various bodies concerned by the Creation of your business, including your health insurance fund.
If you do not yet have a job and you reside in France on a stable basis and regularly, you remain on your current plan until the age of 24. You will then be covered by the general scheme, unless you have a professional activity you connected to another plan. If you are a foreign student, you have maintained of rights one year from the expiration of your residence permit.
If you start a job that depends on a special scheme (civil servant for example), you must send the Transfer request form (PDF) to your new organization, accompanied by an identity document or a residence permit and a bank identity statement (RIB) established in your first and last names.
Contact the health insurance fund of your place of residence
To find the contact details of your health insurance fund, see the section Addresses and contacts.
You can also contact a health insurance advisor by phone by dialling 36 46 (service 0.06 € / min + call price), at your service from Monday to Friday to answer your questions and guide you through the process.
Keep your carte vitale. You can update it every year, every change of situation and as soon as your health insurance fund asks you to do so.
Social assistance and health
Social workers allow students to find the means to respond to situations of personal or financial difficulty.
CROUS social workers are in constant contact with the rectorate, security social, university education, preventive medicine, the Departmental Directorate of health and social affairs, the CAR. They receive students during on-call sessions or on Appointment.
– Information: 03 20 88 66 27
Social services during the crisis health of Covid-19
For the most urgent requests, the social service remains available. We invite you to make an appointment online with the social workers, or contact them by email at the address firstname.lastname@example.org
In case of emergency two numbers are at your disposal:
Appointments will be made by social workers by telephone only.